SBIR/STTR Recommendations

SBIR logo


We strongly encourage faculty and staff to consult with university offices prior to preparing and submitting an SBIR/STTR application -- particularly if this is your first. If you are embarking on that exciting journey of forming a new company, make sure you have picked up your conflict of commitment/conflict of interest approval first from the UO Conflict of Commitment officer.  Because small businesses are the primary awardee of these awards, the business also assumes responsibility for ensuring they have appropriate arrangements in place for research support services.

UO services and resources normally available to UO staff and faculty are not available to the business receiving the SBIR/STTR award unless prior arrangements are made with the appropriate UO institutional officials. Additionally, if the project involves Human Subjects or Animal Research, the business will need its own Federalwide Assurance (FWA) prior to receiving the funds, and cannot presume reliance upon the University's Institutional Review Board (IRB) or Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC). While UO staff and faculty are not allowed to use their UO time and resources -- including staff and students -- to develop and submit the STTR/SBIR application, Innovation Partnership Services (IPS) can help you identify state and other regional help to get your proposal to the finish line.

It is also really important for you to setup for success, so please remember that once your company is awarded a SBIR/STTR grant, UO employees cannot engage in the sponsored activities as an agent of the UO and the sponsored business, unless these activities are established through a subaward or other agreement, and approved by UO. There are limitations based on the phase of your project and differences between federal agencies, so consulting with the office of research is well worth your time. Investigators are strongly encouraged to consult with their own department/Center director as well as Innovation Partnership Services, Academic Affairs, Human Resources, Sponsored Project Services (SPS), Research Compliance Services (RCS), IACUC, and any other University units typically involved in the particular type of research activities to be funded. For more details see the NIH's SBIR FAQs and the SBIR/STTR (R&R) Application Guide. If you have any questions about how this may apply to your project, please contact Innovation Partnership Services early in the grant application process.

To learn more about the application process, support programs, and current funding opportunities, vist the SBIR/STTR support center.